Saturday, May 31, 2008

PHOENIX SAFE ON MARS

Hi Friends...

The Phoenix Lander successfully touched down on Mars today at about 7:40 pm EDT today. The NASA scientists called the descent "Seven Minutes of Peril" and the Lander survived it with aplomb.

The NASA scientists watched the data pouring in from the Lander and were happy to know it landed successfully without any hitch. All the hard work and time spent for this mission paid of well in the end.

It was able to deploy the parachute as planned and it discarded the parachute and fired it thrusters few thousand meters from the Mars’ surface and landed safely.

In the coming days the Phoenix Lander will sample the soil and ice and see whether any organic materials are present now or were in the past.

The video shows the animation sequence of how the Phoenix Lander will arrive at Mars.

No video of its landing was shown but they were able to get data directly from the Lander and from the orbiting Mars Odyssey and the data showed all is well now with the Lander.

It will explore the soil for the next three months.

For more coverage on the Phoenix Lander check the article here.

1 comments:

Elise B. said...

Hello! You left a comment on my blog a while back and I'm not sure I ever replied. Sorry about that! I don't have much time to talk, but thought I should at least tell you that I got your comment way back on the 23rd... I don't know why I haven't had time to reply to people... but I haven't. I think tomorrow after work I'll have some time. =) Thanks for the comment. talk to you later.
Elise